Strong reading skills at the elementary and middle school grades represent the foundation for all future academic success. Reading Measures OnLine (RMOL)SM is an efficient, diagnostic assessment tool designed to allow teachers to ensure that students in grades 1 through 8 are developing these vital skills. Student reports also include access to research-based Instructional Activities you can use to improve student reading skills.
- RMOLSM allows you to monitor student reading in two key areas: Oral Reading Fluency (including decoding and expression) and Reading Comprehension.
- Two passages are included on each test, one fiction and the other nonfiction.
- Comprehension questions, especially at the higher grades, challenge students to read carefully and thoughtfully before selecting the best answer.
- Meets or exceeds expectations described in the Common Core State Standards, Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), and other challenging academic standards.
- A full assessment takes about 15-20 minutes.
- At each grade level, three different assessments are available for Fall (Aug - Nov), Winter (Dec - Mar) and Spring (Apr - July).
About the Reading Passages
The reading passages were carefully selected and, where necessary, adapted to ensure the appropriate level of reading challenge for the grade.
The selections were designed to add interest and to reflect a challenging, quality text at the student’s grade level. As a reading assessment, rather than one of history or science, students are not tested on their prior knowledge of the content.
- To the extent possible, authentic classic literature and folk tales were used as sources of fiction, from Paul Bunyan, to Mark Twain’s The Prince and the Pauper, to Jack London’s The Sea Wolf.
- Nonfiction passages include topics in history or science, such as George Washington, Florence Nightingale, Frederick Douglass, and The Tides and the Moon.
A full listing of the passages on each test is available at: RMOLSM Authentic Reading Passages.
Signing up for an individual teacher account is free and each RMOL℠ assessment can be assigned to a student for only $2.95. After the assessment is complete, you can login at any time to see the results.
An annual school or district RMOL℠ License with discounted pricing is also available for minimum orders of 50 student accounts; an annual License permits you to assign additional tests to the same students—in order to assess improvement—at no additional cost. License pricing ranges from $2.00 to $2.75 per student, depending on order size. Further details about school or district License pricing, including materials and optional training is available here.
1) Listen to a student read aloud for 2 minutes - 1 minute for each of the two passages - using the included tools and timer to mark down any mistakes that you hear the student make. (2 to 3 minutes)
2) Enter the results into AWSchoolTest using your secure account. (2 to 3 minutes)
3) The student finishes any unread text in the passages silently and answers 8 to 12 multiple choice questions using the online system. (About 10 minutes at lower grades; about 15 minutes at higher grades.)
4) Results are immediately available.
Once a student has completed a RMOLSM assessment, scores are instantly available.
On an Individual Test Report, you can view a snapshot of results, including:
On a Student Transcript Report, you can view trends over time, including in the same academic year as well as across grades.
- Decoding Rate
- Decoding Accuracy
- Literal Comprehension
- Inferential Comprehension (further disaggregated at upper grades between Simple and Complex Inferences)
A broad range of Group Reports allow for progress monitoring and diagnostic reports for an entire classroom, grade or school.
Targeted, Research Based Instructional Activities
RMOLSM reports provide access to research based Instructional Activities that you can use for targeted instruction. There are detailed, step-by-step activities for each subset of reading skills measured on the assessment, allowing you to focus on the particular needs of your students.
All RMOLSM assessments and results are available online through AWSchoolTest. Access is provided through one of the major computer web browsers, such as Internet Explorer or Firefox on a Windows computer, or through Safari on a Mac or iPad. No software is installed on local client or server machines..
If your question is not answered above, or you wish to learn more about a school or district License, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org